Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mia Bella!


The year has wrapped up at Barrel of Monkeys' after-school program. We won a visit from the Headless Horseman, which I blogged about on the Monkey blog.


The final performance included hand puppets from the little ones . . .


. . . comedy stylings from the middlies, and an amazing, full-length Monkey show from the oldest group.


This shadow play was an adaptation of Bella's story, "Object Survival" about a little bird lost in a post-apocalyptic world. It was eerie and beautiful.

I first taught Bella in 2008, and it's been so cool to see her and all the other kids in her group grow with the program. Of Bella's oeuvre, I have had the privilege of playing the protagonists of her "Standing Cat" and "I Won the Wolf Races" in both Celebration of Authors and Grandma, and hey, there's that Standing Cat in Loyola Park, Live!


All this makes Bella one of my most long-standing and lauded collaborators.

She is currently 10 years old.

No comments: