Friday, July 4, 2008

Narcissistic, histrionic, antisocial, schizoid

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm in grad school for another discipline. So I'm currently reading Personality Disorders in Modern Life by Theodore Millon and Roger Davis, a textbook my sister picked up in a psychology class. It's not a bad resource for writers. Super fascinating. Although dangerous, because it's too fun to decide what disorders everyone you've ever known would have if they had a personality disorder, which probably they don't, but what if they do? What if I do?

Psychology is dangerous and fun. I think the title of this post would be fun to sing to a driving rhythm a la R.E.M. "End of the World."

Yesterday, I also read Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz, since my class will discuss it and White Darkness at residency. Good Masters! is a series of monologues and scenes with roles for 23 children. Reading it gave me so many ideas for directing that I'm thinking about looking for a teaching gig that would allow me to stage a production of it, so there's my endorsement. It's also pretty inspiring for writing since it handles a lot of historical information in a unique form. It's empowering to see someone writing outside the box.

No comments: