Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Frog songs

Tonight, we made friends with the tree frogs that live in the marsh outside our building. We hear them singing all night, but up close, they sing so loud you have to yell to be heard over them. And their bodies work away like little bellows.



My sister, Laura Wilson, took the video and lovely pics. Only after we'd been listening for about half an hour did the sound work its way into me so that it sounded like a perfect, "Ribbit, ribbit," and once I'd heard it that way, I couldn't stop hearing it.






I wrote 622 new words today, partly during my twenty minutes alone with a giant storm this morning before the rest of the family woke up. I love writing in rain, and this was major -- sheets of grey and occasional lightning were all I could see with rivers pouring past the windows off the roof. I also got an idea for a picture book, that until anybody tells me differently (or until I wake up and look at my notes tomorrow) I'm going to refer to as "the brilliant picture book idea." Doesn't that sound good?

Currently reading (since Saturday): The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean

No comments: