Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wow

Painter Shakti Kroopkin married one of my favorite people on the planet, making him really happy, which makes her one of my newer favorite people on the planet.

Shakti got interviewed by SFReeper about an upcoming live painting event she's doing, and she has a lot of good things to say about process. Like this . . .

It’s in the process that we express ourselves. It’s not in the final touches, making something perfect, or making it a finished product. You have your process and you let yourself go and be free and express yourself. Then, you problem solve after that.


It is so easy to get impatient with the process. Seriously, Shakti, you're painting and I'm writing, but you gave me the inspiration I needed to have fun with my process this morning, to remember that it's as, if not more, important and satisfying than the finished product.

So I was already happy to be reading this interview, when this part blew my mind:

I have one son, not even two years old yet, and he has been painting quite a bit. Whenever he sees something I’ve done, he always looks at it and says ‘Wow.’ Now, whenever he wants to draw or paint, he says ‘wow.’ It’s become the word for painting and drawing.


I want to make that my new word for writing. I've got to go do more 'wow.'

No comments: