Saturday, July 25, 2009

It happened

I got my MFA. As proof, here's a pic of Marion Dane Bauer hooding me at the ceremony.



Reading on the last night truly felt like a rite of passage. I know I perform all the time, but there's something different about reading your own words. It was both scarier and much more fun than I anticipated. I picked something flirty since by the end of the last night of residency everyone is braindead.

I could have happily slept for 20 hours after my reading, but my class had an open house at the Martin house where a lot of the grads were staying, and I had to represent. Graduation day we still have to go to lectures and workshop, and the ceremony itself was a blur of bagpipes, slideshow, and a fantastic speech by Sarah Ellis.

Faculty member Julie Larios did a much better job of posting about residency than I did. There's a pic of me knitting in there somewhere.

I'm in Birmingham. Still tired. Very happy.

1 comment:

Halena said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it. Also, what you have done if great. Feel good. You are a master.