Sunday, May 17, 2009

Godspace

Last Tuesday my friend Scott and I took advantage of the MCA's free day to see the Olafur Eliasson and Buckminster Fuller exhibits.

Fantastic. Both.

Buckminster Fuller blows my mind. He's like an overgrown twelve-year-old tech geek who happens to be a genius. They've got clippings from his notebooks on 4D dwelling units and Dymaxion cars, and they look like a kid scribbling -- handblock letters, colored-in pictures of the globe covered in airships.

Here are just a few things Bucky has to say . . .

Ninety-nine percent of who you are is invisible and untouchable.

God, to me, it seems, is a verb not a noun, proper or improper.

Love is metaphysical gravity.


Olafur Eliasson does funky things with space. 'Nough said. A couple of my friends made a silly rap about him that makes me happy. It's explicit as silly rapping will be . . . fair warning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjbkdcMWlE

1 comment:

david elzey said...

i stumbled onto fuller and his works when i was 12 years old and always felt like the future HE saw was better than the one everyone else was promising me.

did they have any of his dymaxion maps of the earth? not only to the de-emphasize the west as the "center," they also show how all the land masses are truly connected. i wish schools would use these maps instead of our conventional north/south longitude maps.