Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oh children, dear children

I'm coming to mentor you!

Through Barrel of Monkeys, I taught a residency at Morton Elementary, an Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) school, last year. In fact, I taught the class whose picture shows up first on their website right now.

At the AUSL Festival of the Arts at Solorio High School last May, I saw even more of the impressive creative work coming out of these schools across the city. 

Well, AUSL just selected winners from their first-ever Young Authors competition, and part of the prize is visiting with a working writer. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be that writer for five of these schools. We'll talk shop. I'll be sharing my work and helping the winners create author bios and choose excerpts to represent their own work. 


I saw some amazing creative writing at Morton (um, "The Sound of Karma" anyone? Greatest title of all time?), so I have no doubt the winners of this contest will also startle and amaze.
Bang-ba-bang-ba-bang-dang-blang-boomerang
Bang-ba-bang-ba-bang boomerang fangs bangs!
If that is not The Sound of Karma, it's close.

No comments: