Thursday, January 28, 2010

I've done it again

For the second year in a row, I've agreed to be part of a Monkey-O-Kee number based on some sliver of pop culture that may or may not be appreciated or even recognized by the audience.

Last year it was "Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?" a reproduction of a performance by crazy people on some public access channel in the seventies that was apparently a Youtube craze for a brief moment in time -- so brief that the faces of our audience were mostly blank with cringe-worthy wonder as we performed. Still, it was really fun.

This year it will be 2ge+her's "U+Me=Us," a song from a 2000 MTV movie satirizing boy bands, which then became popular for a brief time almost like it was from a real boy band -- the band toured with Britney Spears -- making both its own point lots of money. How meta.

I'll be playing "The Cute One," because he looks the most like a girl.



See I missed all this because I was busy doing college, but my so young friend Philip is making sure I'm up on what all the cool twenty-somethings are nostalgic about.

For a small donation to Barrel of Monkeys, I will be more than happy to send you a link to a video of me performing in this parody of a parody!

1 comment:

dinabear said...

OH. MY. GOD. I totally remember 2gether! I have no shame in admitting that I still know the words to this song.

This was around the time that I was in a sketch comedy class and I wrote a boy band song called "Your Love Gives Me a Headache"--and it was performed by me & four other girls.

You are going to be so awesome!!