Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reduce, reuse, recycle

I'm proud of myself. WIth several good breaks, I worked off and on all day and into the night -- sometimes, revising, sometimes writing new stuff, sometimes jotting notes.

There's a groove when things are clicking into place. It didn't happen all day long, but enough of the time that I'm super satisfied, especially with one section of around 2100 words (some new, some carved out from half a dozen scenes from older drafts). Clearer and shorter.

Reduce, reuse, recycle. I have done all three.

I started off the day with Pandora as my soundtrack. I made a station from Gary Jules' cover of "Mad World," so the first song that came up was his "Lucky." Both of these so suit my story. Gary Jules is my new boyfriend.

It's hard for me to divorce "Mad World" from Donnie Darko, which I dearly love, but this video makes it a bit easier to appreciate it in its own right. I had never seen it before, and I find it dreamy.



Currently reading: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

1 comment:

Jessica Leader said...

Oh my gosh! Gary Jules, where have you been all my life? That song you linked to was the best of the Led Zeppelin instrumental intros. And Rachel, your blog just hit the spot today. Thank you for being brave enough to put out there all the petty struggles that all we knuckle-headed writers go through every day. I feel less alone.
xo
yr roommie