Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yes, there is some actual writing happening here

Here's the deal, writer friends. Some of you do this thing where you wake up at a set time and you put on a pot of coffee, maybe you even don work clothes, and you sit at a desk, and you write.

For a variety of reasons, I have not been keeping such a routine of late. I've been writing, but not at my desk (too cold), and not always at normal hours (Friday night at Tai's house while he watched Battlestar, via Facebook messages to myself).

My first packet of the semester went in Thursday. I'm now working on packet two of five, presumably building my creative thesis. As scared as I am, I have to make a lot of changes to my manuscript. Here's an example of the kind of changes we're talking about -- as a working title, I've been calling my book Manatee.

I'm cutting the manatee.

This is not a bad thing. I've been feeling like I've been trying to write two or three books at the same time. I've chosen one to work with now and cut the rest away. Maybe the manatee will get its own book, but it doesn't belong in this one.

And because I have a lot of work to do, and am not sure where to begin, I am sitting at my desk. And after I post this, I am working.

No comments: