Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ravelry

I got my invite to Ravelry today! It's an online community for knitters and crocheters to store and share info about their projects. They're still in testing but adding people daily -- it's not exclusive, you just have to wait your turn. The neatness of it, the details you can record about your past, current, and future knitting, I can't explain how much this excites me. And yet, I'm wary because I know it's a procrastination destination.

Knitting doesn't count as procrastination for me. It's meditative and satisfying, and I usually do it while I'm doing other things. It's practically creative, but you can follow a pattern, which makes it a good complement to writing, where there are no patterns. And it's still a good metaphor for writing -- stringing little stitches together like words to make something huge.


Here's my almost bound-off Hoover blanket for my friend Jay's baby, Joseph. It's my first double-knit project, and it's based on the Hoover blanket, a recreation of a pattern by first lady Lou Hoover from Knitty.

Also, 13 Dead Husbands made me really happy. It's Jeff-Recommended, an original, modern ghost story/fairy tale. It's whimsical and playful and has cute Frenchmen playing ukulele, but it's also darker and more thoughtful than some reviewers are giving it credit for. It gets at the romance to be found post-disillusionment, which isn't your typical fairy tale message. Also, Sarah Goeden is beautiful.


Words: 2,656 revision, same section. Think I'm done with this guy for a while.

No comments: