Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sleepy

So, great day for teaching and rehearsing. Not such a great day for writing. Took a long nap after teaching, followed by a sit-and-stare-at-the-screen, procrastinate-by-doing-"research"-fest before writing about 140 words. I think I'm at a point where I need to sit down and do some serious outlining/organizing, but that doesn't directly result it pages or word counts, so it feels like taking time away. If I'll just do it, it'll help me move faster.

Still, I spent a chunk of time on my ghazal yesterday, and I'm going to take another stab at it now. Poetry is hard.



Teaching was sweet. We started the Chalmers residency with an absurd ratio of 6 teachers to 17 fourth graders. Among us are a past and a present education director, Kristie and Dixie, three generations of lead teachers since I learned from Kristie and led Dixie's first residency, superstar Monkey apprentice Stephen aka every child's favorite person, the irrepressible Joe, and Alex, who may be the funniest man I know. Dixie claims to be a little worried that we're going to melt their faces off with love and affirmation. They're already super-creative and not afraid to act, so it should be a fun six weeks.

When I introduced myself and said what I do when I'm not teaching, I told them, "I go to grad school for writing, so that means I got out of high school, went to college, finished that, and now I'm back for MORE school to learn how to write better." They kind of giggled at the idea of that much school, and also, I suspect, at the absurdity of my life choices.

No comments: